Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Model 14 crossover schematic & driver question.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.

    I recently bought a pair of Altec Model 14 tweeters and crossovers.
    Now I want to pair them up with some JBL 2225H woofers.

    But the crossover is strange looking, I have never seen a crossover with MF and HF attenuators, and this has a 50ohm potentiometer over the woofer coil ?

    Does anybody have a schematic of this crossover or know anything about this croosover ?

    Furthermore it seems to have been modified by cutting the tweeter coil, so it is only 6db instead of 12db.

    And can you tell me what these drivers are ?

    They are a bit corroded so in the process of removing the diaphragms I broke one connection on one of the diaphragms, but it looks repairable.

    The number on the diaphragms are 391923 and 391926, are they any good ?

    driver 1
    driver 2
    driver 3
    driver 4
    driver 5

    Regards
    Kim

  2. #2
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, those drivers are 902's, they are very good drivers, it will be pretty tricky to fix the diaphragm lead to where it's 100%.
    If you have trouble fixing it you can get new replacements at Great Plains Audio.
    I'm not shure if you could use that horn & crossover point with the JBL to good effect, I think the model 14 cossover point is 1500Hz.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Kim. I am not an expert here so take none of this to the bank!
    Look like 902 Drivers to me with the tangerine phase plugs.
    The numbers you give 391923 & 926 I believe are date codes. 923 meaning 1979 in the 23rd week and 926 being 1979 in the 26th week.
    There is alot of info here and alot of very sharp individuals who may chime in.
    I think the diaphram can be replaced at GPA and I would be skepticle about repairing it but many have been successfull in doing so.
    The orange phase plugs are known for comming unglued but can be reglued.
    Be very carefull in the cleaning so no metal shavings get down between the magnet and center cup. Use doubled over, sticky side out tape to slide in and get any debris out of there.
    Best of luck with your project.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi guys, thank you for your help.

    I have fixed the diaphragm, and it sounds just as good as the other one.

    902 6
    902 7

    I think I was lucky it didn?t break closer to the voicecoil.
    The soldering doesn?t look so nice on the picture, because I didn?t clean the top surface of the wire, but the two surfaces meeting each other are nice and clean, and it is a strong bond.

    Let?s see if it will hold in the long run.

    The diaphragms are coated very lightly with some sort of pink stuff, is this done from the factory ?

    The JBL 2225?s have been put in some 110L reflex cabinets I had standing around, they are tuned to about 27hz and actually sound pretty good.

    They miss a bit in the lowest frequences, but what is there sounds great.

    Regards
    Kim

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You could also leave off the loading caps and get regular 902 rear covers from GPA. That usually helps the sound a bit, but will lower the power handling. Just my .02.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.